Characters named "Aegon Targaryen" include:
- Aegon I Targaryen, also called Aegon the Conqueror, the unifier of the Seven Kingdoms.
- Aegon II Targaryen, who usurped his half-sister Rhaenyra Targaryen during the civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons.
- Aegon III Targaryen, son of Rhaenyra and half-nephew of Aegon II.
- Aegon IV Targaryen, nephew of Aegon III. A glutton and one of the worst kings of the Targaryen dynasty. Legitimized his bastard son Daemon Blackfyre on his deathbed, resulting in the creation of the cadet branch of House Targaryen known as House Blackfyre.
- Aegon V Targaryen, son of King Maekar Targaryen. Brother of Maester Aemon.
- Aegon Targaryen (Son of Rhaegar), the son of Rhaegar Targaryen who was murdered in the Sack of King's Landing. Had he lived, he would have ascended the throne as "Aegon VI".
Over the centuries, many other noble families have named their children "Aegon" in honor of the Targaryens. Other characters named "Aegon" but with a different surname include: