The History of the Name Aegon Targaryen
Do you like this video?
Characters named "Aegon Targaryen" include:
- King Aegon I Targaryen, also called Aegon the Conqueror, unifier of six of the Seven Kingdoms.
- Prince Aegon, eldest son of Aenys Targaryen, elder brother of Jaehaerys I Targaryen and grandson of Aegon the Conqueror. Had he ascended the throne, he would have ruled as "Aegon II" instead of his brother's great-grandson a century later.
- King Aegon II Targaryen, son of King Viserys I Targaryen, who usurped the throne from his half-sister Rhaenyra Targaryen during the civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons.
- King Aegon III Targaryen, son of Rhaenyra and half-nephew of Aegon II.
- King Aegon IV Targaryen, also called "Aegon the Unworthy". Son of Viserys II Targaryen and nephew of Aegon III. A glutton and one of the worst kings of the Targaryen dynasty. Legitimized his bastard son Daemon Blackfyre on his deathbed, resulting in the creation of the cadet branch of House Targaryen known as House Blackfyre.
- King Aegon V Targaryen, son of King Maekar Targaryen. Brother of Maester Aemon and father of Aerys II Targaryen, who later became known as "the Mad King".
- Prince Aegon, the first son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen. He was murdered along with his mother and sister during the Sack of King's Landing. Had he lived, he would have ascended the throne as "Aegon VI".
- Jon Snow, the second son of Prince Rhaegar by Lyanna Stark, also named Aegon Targaryen.
Over the centuries, many other noble families have named their children "Aegon" in honor of the Targaryens. Other characters named "Aegon" but with a different surname include: