She stars in HBO's Game of Thrones as Daenerys Targaryen. She replaced Tamzin Merchant, who played the role in the unaired pilot episode. Merchant's departure was announced on 29 April 2010 and Clarke's casting was confirmed on 21 May 2010. She was part of the initial starring cast and remains a member of the starring cast for the second and third seasons.
For her work on the third season, Clarke was nominated for the 2013 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. She ultimately did not win.
Clarke has been cast as Sarah Connor in the upcoming Terminator reboot film. Coincidentally, fellow cast member Lena Headey also played the role as the star of the TV series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
Clarke graces the cover of the March 2014 Spring Style issue of WSJ., the Wall Street Journal's bimonthly magazine. The issue contains an extensive interview in which Clarke discusses her casting and work on Game of Thrones.
- "Sometimes I feel like the kid left out - the weirdo with the silver hair that no one likes to talk to."
- ―Emilia Clarke on her role as Daenerys Targaryen, and that fact that Daenerys isn't in Westeros so she doesn't interact with most of the cast.
|Season one credits|
|Winter is Coming||The Kingsroad||Lord Snow||Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things||The Wolf and the Lion|
|A Golden Crown||You Win or You Die||The Pointy End||Baelor||Fire and Blood|
|Season two credits|
|The North Remembers||The Night Lands||What is Dead May Never Die||Garden of Bones||The Ghost of Harrenhal|
|The Old Gods and the New||A Man Without Honor||The Prince of Winterfell||Blackwater||Valar Morghulis|
|Season three credits|
|Valar Dohaeris||Dark Wings, Dark Words||Walk of Punishment||And Now His Watch is Ended||Kissed by Fire|
|The Climb||The Bear and the Maiden Fair||Second Sons||The Rains of Castamere||Mhysa|
|Season four credits|
|Two Swords||The Lion and the Rose||Breaker of Chains||Oathkeeper||First of His Name|
|The Laws of Gods and Men||Mockingbird||The Mountain and the Viper||The Watchers on the Wall||The Children|
- Doctors - Saskia Mayer (2009)
- Triassic Attack - Savannah (2010)
- Game of Thrones - Daenerys Targaryen (2011-present)
- Spike Island (2012)
- Shackled (2012)
- Dom Hemingway (2013)
- Following her theater career, Emilia Clarke's first major on-screen appearance was in a series of television commercials which aired in 2009 for the anti-abuse organization Samaritans. The commercials consist of Clarke, apparently having been verbally and/or physically abused, staring into the camera with wordless horror for almost a full minute as tears silently roll down her cheeks. Ironically, this situation of abuse is very close to that of Daenerys in the first book, A Game of Thrones, and in Season 1 of the series.
- Emilia Clarke's favorite candy is "Pick'n'Mix", and she can actually be bribed with them.
- Clarke made her Broadway début in Breakfast at Tiffany's, playing the leading role of Holly Golightly. The play began its run in February 2013.
- As of September 2012, Clarke was reported to be dating Seth MacFarlane. On 20 March 2013, it was reported that she and MacFarlane ended their relationship.