- "I'm not killing you, just making a few... alterations."
- ―Ramsay Snow to Theon Greyjoy
Eunuchs are men who have had some or all of their sexual organs removed in order to make them more efficient servants or soldiers, as they are not distracted by lust or sexual matters. The practice is considered cruel in Westeros, where eunuchs are mistrusted; men are typically only castrated or gelded in the Seven Kingdoms as punishment for serious crimes such as rape. However, it is considered acceptable in many parts of Essos, as part of the vibrant slave trade which exists in many areas. Slave-eunuchs are a common sight in Essos, and the famous warrior-eunuchs produced in Slaver's Bay known as the Unsullied are among the most disciplined soldiers in the world.
In the seriesEdit
Grand Maester Pycelle expresses distrust of and disgust with Varys, and is annoyed that a eunuch is serving on the king's small council. When discussing the death of Jon Arryn, Pycelle suggests that poison is a weapon typically used by women - and also eunuchs. He then bluntly notes that Varys is a eunuch, trying to throw suspicion on him.
Daenerys Targaryen travels to the slaver city of Astapor to buy an army of Unsullied, slave soldiers who have been turned into eunuchs to improve discipline. Lacking male organs, they do not take part in rapes.
- Varys, the Master of Whisperers on the small council in King's Landing, emasculated by a sorcerer during his childhood.
- The Unsullied - warrior-eunuchs and slave-soldiers from Slaver's Bay. Castrated at the age of five by the Good Masters of Astapor at the beginning of their brutal training regime.
- Theon Greyjoy, self-styled Prince of Winterfell and now hostage of House Bolton, emasculated by Ramsay Snow.
In the booksEdit
In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, different regions are known to make eunuchs in different ways. Some only remove the testicles but leave the shaft of the penis intact, while others remove all external genitalia, both the penis and testicles. The slaver-city of Yunkai, for example, is known to make eunuchs by removing only a slave's testicles, but the slave-masters of Astapor make eunuchs by removing everything, penis and testes, such as when they make the Unsullied. A eunuch with only the testicles removed but not the penis will still lose the will to partake of sexual activity, but other slave-masters like to be sure by removing the penis as well.