This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
I have noticed a trend the past few weeks, and I doubled checked by looking at the Block Log: 
There have been a string of page vandalisms by anonymous IP addresses....which then delete the vandalism after a matter of minutes. This still counts as vandalism. There are spambots which insert random profanity but the specific content of these incidents can only have originated from a person, who knew the context of what they were writing. I think its a random IP vandal who got annoyed the first time we blocked them, and now uses proxy servers to keep adding in random vandalism, just to get some sort of satisfaction out of tweaking our noses.
Consider the following:
- This vandalism to Lena Headey: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Lena_Headey?diff=prev&oldid=48204
- This vandalism to King in the North: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/King_in_the_North?diff=prev&oldid=49387
- This vandalism to Renly Baratheon: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Renly_Baratheon?diff=49606&oldid=47563 and then http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Renly_Baratheon?diff=49609&oldid=49606
And today, this vandalism to House Stark: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/index.php?title=House_Stark&action=historysubmit&diff=49947&oldid=49945 (the IP needs to be banned). Adding in a vandalism only to remove it a few minutes later.
I suspect that this is one person making slights against the wiki for previous bans over vandalism.
We really need to ban anonymous editing.--The Dragon Demands 20:23, June 24, 2012 (UTC)
He's done it again on the Margaery Tyrell page: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/184.108.40.206
We MUST permanently disable anonymous editing on this wiki.--The Dragon Demands 18:37, July 3, 2012 (UTC)
- I've gone back to Wikia over this issue. Waiting for a response.--Werthead 23:18, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
- He's at it again on the Riverlands page: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/The_Riverlands?diff=51737&oldid=49754 --The Dragon Demands 17:59, July 7, 2012 (UTC)
- So basically only registered editors can work here? I am for that if vandalism is too high. --QueenBuffy 18:39, July 7, 2012 (UTC)
I have gone back to Wikia. They have suggested that we make use of the VSTF Wiki, which polices spamming and has some tools to prevent inter-wiki trolls and people who use multiple ISPs.--Werthead 18:07, July 11, 2012 (UTC)
- Wikia have responded. They have prioritised the GoT Wiki's issues with the VSTF and have urged us to make use of that site in dealing with vandals here. Wikia are extremely reluctant to cancel anonymous user editing, claiming that it is offputting to new users in their experience.--Werthead 16:29, July 12, 2012 (UTC)
- Gonzalo84....why did you change all of the links to specific edits I made so that they generically linked to the page itself? Instead of a specific edit to "Lena Headey" you linked to just the "Lena Headey" page...even though I already provided links to those. Opark77 had to change them back. What purpose did this serve?--The Dragon Demands (talk) 15:16, August 1, 2012 (UTC)
(reset indent) Is this bug you are describing with Visual Editing still happening? This reminds me of a bug we had a few weeks ago with link creation in the Visual Editor. That is now patched. If you are still seeing this, could you please be kind enough to give me some diff links and I'll get right on investigating any issues. --DaNASCAT (help forum | blog) 16:40, August 14, 2012 (UTC)