Game of Thrones: The Musical is a twelve-minute sketch produced by the British rock band, Coldplay. It originally aired as part of a three-hour NBC special, bringing together different actors and musicians who used their talent to persuade people to donate to charity for Red Nose Day. The sketch features members from Coldplay participating with several actors from Game of Thrones in producing musical numbers, and is narrated by Liam Neeson.
Game of Thrones
- Peter Dinklage
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
- Emilia Clarke
- Kit Harington
- Iwan Rheon
- Rose Leslie
- Mark Addy
- Alfie Allen
- Charlotte Hope
- John Bradley-West
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster
- Guy Berryman
- Will Champion
- Jonny Buckland
- Chris Martin
In the satirical behind-the-scenes portions of the video, the cast's reaction towards the concept of a musical are portrayed as mixed. Iwan Rheon and Mark Addy are the only actors who turned up on the first day. While Rheon expresses surprise, Addy (as well as Diana Rigg and Emilia Clarke) denounce it as a terrible idea (and express disappointment that Sean Bean is absent). Difficulties lead to Addy leaving the set. That night, Kit Harington appears, making him and Rheon the only actors present.
Harington calls several cast members and persuades them to participate by offering free food. Rose Leslie, Alfie Allen, Charlotte Hope, John Bradley-West, and Thomas Brodie-Sangster turn up the next day, and Addy reconsiders his decision and returns.
News of the musical's success spreads and Peter Dinklage, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, and Emilia Clarke also take part, the latter of which seemingly changing her mind from her initial position and saying that she has always known that it would be a triumph. Though the musical is completed, at the end of the skit series creator George R. R. Martin appears and is so disappointed with the final product that he announces he will refuse to allow the musical to be released.
- "The Red Wedding" - performed by all participants. Dedicated to the betrayal and murder of Robb Stark and Catelyn Stark by House Frey and House Bolton.
- "Rastafarian Targaryen" - performed by Emilia Clarke. Dedicated to Daenerys Targaryen's exploits with the Dothraki and rise to power in Slaver's Bay.
- "A Man for All Seasons (Still Goin' Strong)" - performed by Peter Dinklage. Dedicated to Tyrion Lannister's survival through the series' five seasons so far.
- "Closer to Home" - performed by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Dedicated to Jaime Lannister's affair with Cersei Lannister and longing to be with her.
- "Wildling" (originally named "Wild Thing") - performed by Kit Harington. Dedicated to Jon Snow's relationship with Ygritte.
- "A Bit of a Bastard" - performed by Iwan Rheon, Alfie Allen and Charlotte Hope. Dedicated to Ramsay Bolton's torture of Theon Greyjoy and relationship with Myranda.
Game of Thrones: The Musical gathered over $21 million in charity donations and over 30 million views on YouTube.