- "The Night's Watch will ride in force against the wildlings, the White Walkers and whatever else is out there. And we will find Benjen Stark, alive or dead. I will command them myself."
- ―Lord Commander Jeor Mormont
The Great Ranging is a massive expedition of the Night's Watch to the lands beyond the Wall organized by Lord Commander Jeor Mormont. It was a reaction to the reports of numerous Free Folk villages found empty and wildlings amassing, the discovery of wights in the Haunted Forest and the disappearance of Benjen Stark as well as other rangers.
- Lord Commander Jeor Mormont, killed by Rast in a mutiny at Craster's Keep.
- Othell Yarwyck, First Builder of the Night's Watch, amongst the officers of the Night's Watch participating in the expedition.
- Qhorin, called "the Halfhand", slain by Jon Snow to ease his infiltration among the Free Folk.
- Grenn and Rast, rangers from Castle Black, currently at the Fist of the First Men.
- Samwell Tarly, called "Sam" and "Ser Piggy", a steward in charge of the messenger ravens, separated from his sworn brothers during the attack of the White Walkers against the Fist of the First Men.
- Eddison Tollett, called "Edd" and "Dolorous Edd", a steward, currently at the First of the First Men.