- "To be involved in something that is genuinely challenging gender stereotyping is what I’ve always wanted. I don’t have to worry about whether I look attractive. Brienne looks like a bag of dung – that’s the character and that’s fine – so I can focus on other things."
- ―Gwendoline Christie on playing Brienne of Tarth
On Thrones she plays the character of Brienne of Tarth, who debuted in Season 2. She was announced in the role by George R.R. Martin on 8 July 2011. She joined the cast as a guest star in the second season.
Christie first heard about the role of Brienne of Tarth when a friend notified her that there was internet speculation that she was going to be cast in an HBO series (there are only so many 6'3" tall actresses, thus Christie was on the short list of fansite speculation). Ironically, Christie had never heard about it before, but this very speculation led her to look up fansites and find out what Game of Throneswas, and about Brienne of Tarth. Christie utterly fell in love with Brienne, read the books and everything about them, and subsequently sought out the role.
For her role as Brienne, Christie trained extensively to get into the right physical condition, as well as cutting off her long hair and reading all of the available novels to study her character's development in detail.HBO also had Christie take horseriding lessons, and she was trained in swordfighting by C.C. Smith.
|Season two credits|
|The North Remembers||The Night Lands||What is Dead May Never Die||Garden of Bones||The Ghost of Harrenhal|
|The Old Gods and the New||A Man Without Honor||The Prince of Winterfell||Blackwater||Valar Morghulis|
|Season Three appearances|
|Valar Dohaeris||Dark Wings, Dark Words||Walk of Punishment||And Now His Watch is Ended||Kissed by Fire|
|The Climb||The Bear and the Maiden Fair||Second Sons||The Rains of Castamere||Mhysa|
- Gwendoline Christie's entry on the Internet Movie Database
- Gwendoline Christie's entry at Wikipedia
- Interview with Gwendoline Christie in the Independent (UK), June 2008