- Robb Stark: "Galbart Glover will lead the van."
- Greatjon Umber: "The bloody Wall will melt before an Umber marches behind a Glover!"
- — Greatjon Umber challenges Robb Stark[src]
House Glover of Deepwood Motte is a vassal house that holds fealty to House Stark of Winterfell. Their lands are north-west of Winterfell, located along the Bay of Ice and extending into the Wolfswood. Their stronghold is a castle called Deepwood Motte and the head of the house is the Master of Deepwood Motte.
- Galbart Glover, Master of Deepwood Motte, the current head of the family.
In the books
In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, House Glover is a loyal and reliable vassal of the Starks. Their castle is a motte-and-bailey wooden castle located inland but close to the Bay of Ice. House Glover's sigil is a mailed silver fist on scarlet background.
Technically, the Glovers are stated to be a "Masterly" House, not a full major noble House - which would go towards explaining why Greatjon Umber would be insulted at being commanded by a Glover. However, George R.R. Martin has admitted that he didn't really think out a full system of titles for different degrees of rank within the nobility of the Seven Kingdoms. There actually doesn't seem to be any functional different between "Masterly" Houses such as the Glovers and other major Houses such as the Umbers. There are basically three tiers of noble family under each Great House such as the Starks: major Houses who answer only to the Great House of the region (i.e. the Umbers), minor lordly Houses who serve another intermediary noble House (House Marsh serves House Reed), and knightly Houses - unlike lords, knights do not have the power to dispense justice and executions on their own lands. Some minor lordly Houses also directly serve the Great House of the region, given that a feudal system isn't entirely a delegated hierarchy, but the ruling family gathers strength from its own lands. Thus minor Houses such as Cassel and Poole also serve the Starks. At any rate, because the Glovers answer to no intermediary lords but to the Starks themselves, and local lesser Houses in turn serve as vassals to the Glovers, there really doesn't seem to be any functional difference between the titles. Apparently their "Masterly" rank as the "Masters of Deepwood Motte" has to do with being marcher lords of a sort, responsible for governing the wild regions of the Wolfswood.
- Galbart Glover, Master of Deepwood Motte
- Robett Glover, Galbart's younger brother and heir.
- Sybelle Locke, Robett's wife.
- Gawen Glover, Robett and Sybelle's son.
- Erena Glover, Robett and Sybelle's newborn daughter.
- Ser Jorah Mormont's first wife was a member of House Glover.
- House Glover at A Wiki of Ice and Fire (MAJOR spoilers from the books)
Houses from the North
Glover · Tallhart
|The Neck Houses:|