- Jojen Reed: "When I told my father about your father, for the first time in my life, I saw him cry."
- Bran Stark: "Your father is Howland Reed. He saved my father's life during the rebellion."
- Jojen Reed: "Your father told you about the rebellion? Mine never did."
- — Jojen Reed and Bran Stark talk about their fathers.[src]
Howland Reed is an unseen character in Game of Thrones.
He is the Lord of Greywater Watch and the father of Meera and Jojen Reed. The head of House Reed, he is a loyal vassal of House Stark, ruling over the bog-filled lands of the Neck. According to Bran Stark in a conversation with Jojen Reed, Howland saved Ned Stark 's life during the rebellion.
|Meera Reed||Jojen Reed|
Behind the scenes
Howland is mentioned in a press release accompanying the news of the casting of Meera and Jojen Reed.
In the books
In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, Howland Reed is a member and the ruler of the crannogmen, the inhabitants of the Neck. Disparagingly called "frog-eaters" due their lands lying in the swamps of the Neck, the Reeds and the crannogmen keep to themselves and rarely travel beyond their borders. However, Howland Reed was an exception to this, becoming a noted friend and ally of Lord Eddard Stark, fighting at his side at during Robert's Rebellion. He remains one of House Stark's staunchest supporters but, so far, hasn't played a role in the War of the Five Kings.
- Howland Reed at A Wiki of Ice and Fire (MAJOR spoilers from the books)
|Lord:||Lord Howland Reed||Heir:||Jojen Reed|
|Seat:||Greywater Watch||Lands:||The Neck, The North|
|Title(s):||Lord of Greywater Watch|
|Current members:||Meera Reed|