Kristian Nairn is a Northern Irish actor and musician. He is a successful DJ, having performed alongside acts such as the Scissor Sisters and worked as far afield as South Africa and Australia. He is 6'10" and as of June 2014 is 38 years old.
Working on Game of ThronesEdit
Game of Thrones marks Nairn's first major acting role. He plays the role of Hodor, and announced his casting via Twitter on 22 June 2010. He initially appeared as a guest star in the first season and returned in this role for the second, third and fourth seasons.
Hodor does not have a large scar on his right temple in the books. This was added by the TV series's makeup department to hide a tattoo possessed by Kristian Nairn.
When asked if it was difficult to express a range of emotions when playing a character who can only speak a single word, Kristian responded:
- "Unlike in the book, where Hodor's emotions are portrayed by a combination of the single word, the situation, and the reader's imagination, I have a very powerful medium to use as well: my body language. I was partially deaf when I was a child, and often in school, before I was fixed, I had to read context and emotions from people's faces and body language. That's also a huge part of sign language, and my knowledge of that (although I'm extremely out of practice) has put me in good stead for this part."
Nairn is a fan of the Yogscast podcasting series, which he appeared on for a lengthy interview in their 37th episode.
Nairn publicly came out as gay just before Season 4 premiered, in an interview with WinterIsComing.net. As he explained, it might be a bit drastic to say he "came out" because he never hid it from those around him, he just never had an opportunity to mention it in the news media:
- Question: "I have some friends in the gay community, "bears" as they’re wont to call themselves, who hold you on a pretty high pedestal. One good friend of mine (I've known since we were in the 5th grade together) says your bear following is "extensive." Is this something you're aware of?
- Kristian: "Well, in all honesty, when you talk about "the gay community," you are talking about MY community, haha. I AM aware of it yeah, and I think it’s really lovely. There's not a day that I don’t get a few messages, but 99% or more are super sweet and nothing smutty at all! Again, it's a privilege, and I really mean that. I've never hidden my sexuality from anyone, my whole life in fact, and I've been waiting for someone to ask about it in an interview, cos it's not something you just blurt out. I've tried to lead the questions a few times, to no avail!
- Question: "Seeing as how some people might react negatively to it, did most of the cast and crew have an understanding of it? Or was it just never really brought up?"
- Kristian: "I had an upbringing to respect other people's privacy, and their right to be and choose what they want, and I expect, no, demand no less for myself. It's a very small part of who I am on the whole, but nonetheless, in this day and age, it's important to stand up and be counted. I have and always will stand my ground. So, yeah, people have been great, on the show, but I don't see why it would be an issue."
In a followup interview Nairn also said: "I don't want to get married – but I want my friends, who it's important to, to be able to get married. And why not?"
|Season one credits|
|Winter is Coming||The Kingsroad||Lord Snow||Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things||The Wolf and the Lion|
|A Golden Crown||You Win or You Die||The Pointy End||Baelor||Fire and Blood|
|Season two credits|
|The North Remembers||The Night Lands||What is Dead May Never Die||Garden of Bones||The Ghost of Harrenhal|
|The Old Gods and the New||A Man Without Honor||The Prince of Winterfell||Blackwater||Valar Morghulis|
|Season three credits|
|Valar Dohaeris||Dark Wings, Dark Words||Walk of Punishment||And Now His Watch is Ended||Kissed by Fire|
|The Climb||The Bear and the Maiden Fair||Second Sons||The Rains of Castamere||Mhysa|
|Season four credits|
|Two Swords||The Lion and the Rose||Breaker of Chains||Oathkeeper||First of His Name|
|The Laws of Gods and Men||Mockingbird||The Mountain and the Viper||The Watchers on the Wall||The Children|
- Kristian Nairn on Wikipedia
- Kristian Nairn on IMDb
- Kristian Nairn on Twitter
- Kristian Nairn's Myspace profile.
- ↑ Game of Thrones Special Collectors Edition: An Unofficial Guide to the Most Epic Fantasy Series in History. "Hodor Speaks", page 58.
- ↑ WinterIsComing.net, Kristian Nairn inteview, March 11th, 2014.
- ↑ WinterIsComing.net, Kristian Nairn on the “ridiculous” reaction to his WiC interview, and Game of Thrones Season 4, April 11th, 2014.