On how she got into embroidery:
- "Started when I was a child, really. I went to college and studied fashion design. While I was there, I actually became drawn to the theater design course and what the students were doing. ... When I left college, I went into textile conservation and developed my embroidery skills there, practicing on the many textiles that came through the door. So I got much quicker at different techniques. Then, through some friends who used to make amateur short films, I got involved in the world of filmmaking, and so went from there, really."
On how she became the Game of Thrones embroiderer:
- "I got involved with the show when I was asked by the costume designer, Michele Clapton, who I've worked with before several times. Obviously, I was drawn to the show because of the creativeness of the project. Michelle, as a designer, she has great talent and spirit, and she's a real supporter of artists and craftspeople, and she really pursues the costumes being made with traditional processes when possible. Having fabrics woven and hand-printed, and she has a lot of hand finishing done on the seams and hems. Luckily for me she likes some hand embroidery."
Her views on her work for Game of Thrones:
- "I never really feel I have done my best work, with the time constraints of each project I always feel I could have produced better work if given a little more time. So it's more about which embroideries I've I enjoyed within the creative process rather than what I regard as best, such as the embroideries where I have pushed 3-dimensional elements into sculptural territory, as on some of the lion designs I have created for Cersei's costumes. I have also enjoyed developing various scale-like textures for the Dragonscale embellishment on Dany's costumes. Nothing has been the “most difficult”, only time-consuming, such as creating nearly 350 handmade roses and then sewing them onto the train of Margaery's wedding dress."
While Michele Clapton will be departing the TV series after Season 5, Carragher has confirmed that she will be returning for Season 6.
- Michele Carragher on IMDb
- Michele Carragher interview with Take Two
- Michele Carragher's Website www.michelecarragherembroidery.com
- Michele Clapton and Michele Carragher interview with Vogue Italia www.vogue.it/en/people-are-talking-about/vogue-arts/2014/06/game-of-thrones-costumes
- Michele Clapton and Michele Carragher interview with The Hollywood Reporter www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/game-thrones-costume-designers-reveal-705873