The Shield Islands are an archipelago of four islands located off the west coast of the Reach. They owe fealty to House Tyrell of Highgarden. The islands are located west of the mouth of the Mander River.
In the booksEdit
In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the Shield Islands are named as follows:
- Greenshield, the easternmost of the islands, ruled by House Chester.
- Greyshield, the westernmost of the islands, ruled by House Grimm.
- Oakenshield, the northernmost of the islands, ruled by House Hewett.
- Southshield, the southernmost of the islands, ruled by House Serry.
The islands are so-named as they used to serve as a shield against ironborn attacks during the days of their independence. The islands were actually held by the ironborn for centuries until House Gardener, the Kings of the Reach, liberated them almost two thousand years before the events of the series. The Gardeners fortified the islands so they could defend themselves from further attack.
The islands are equipped with beacon fires. At the first sign of longships, the fires are lit, resulting in a relay of warnings being sent across all four islands.
- Shield Islands at A Wiki of Ice and Fire (spoilers from the books)
Old Oak · Red Lake · Goldengrove · Bitterbridge · Tumbleton · Grassy Vale · Cider Hall · Ashford · Horn Hill · Brightwater Keep · Bandallon · Honeyholt · Oldtown (The Citadel · The Hightower) · Uplands · Blackcrown · Three Towers · Sun House · The Arbor
Shield Islands · The Arbor