- I only just started it and it is still very much a work in progress. I've been intending to make this article on Heraldry for so long that I realized it might be better to "get the ball rolling" by posting up what I could. Yes this TV/book stuff needs to be sorted out - however, I approached it from an "Out of Universe Perspective" anyway, given that I had to explain at the beginning how the real-life rules of heraldry work, Jim Stanes' involvement, etc. I think of it as more of a "Production" Behind-the-Scenes page. I don't know; but I thought it would be good to at least get a start on it.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 01:50, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- They wear white enameled armor. The crown is not their sigil, just a design we've seen on armor - never a banner.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 17:15, September 20, 2013 (UTC)
You were right, those are Tyrell banners: they have five points like the Tyrell flower, not the Seven Pointed Star. I wonder why they use white backgrounds in the Great Sept: for formal occasions?--The Dragon Demands (talk) 05:52, January 12, 2014 (UTC)
At first I thought it was a matter of light and photography, then I noticed Joffrey's sigil also with a white background. Either a show of respect for the Faith from both Lannisters and Tyrells or the Faith itself showing respect for the ruling houses.--Gonzalo84 (talk) 06:00, January 12, 2014 (UTC)
What's heraldry that has not yet received an official TV series continuity version, which you would like to see in later seasons?
(loosely, a wishlist might also extend to heraldry which "exists" in the TV continuity but which we've only barely glimpsed in crowd shots and don't have a "good" photo of yet).
My short list:
Heraldry we really need:
- House Seaworth - a black ship with an onion upon its sails, on a grey field
- House Velaryon - a silver seahorse rampant upon an aquamarine field
- House Hightower - a silver tower with a red beaconfire, on a grey field
- Technically exists in the Book of Brothers but never seen in closeup, so that it is illegible.
- Bronn's personal sigil - a green, flaming chain on a smoking grey field. The design was to commemorate his role in the Battle of the Blackwater, where he earned his knighthood (after which he needed a personal sigil), but because the chain was cut from the TV continuity, it would have to be slightly different for the TV show - possibly a flaming arrow and green wildfire?
Would be nice:
- House Harlaw - a white scythe on a black field
House Dayne - a sword across a falling white star, on a purple field
- Observed in the Book of Brothers.
- House Caswell - a gold centaur with a bow on a white field.
- House Rowan - a gold tree torn up by its roots on a white field
- House Toland - a green dragon biting its own tail on a gold field (symbolizing that Dorne ran circles around the Targaryen dragons)
- An official flag for the "Tiger" party of Volantis
- An official flag for the "Elephant" party of Volantis
- Aegon II's personal gold dragon sigil (well, we did cobble one of these together easily enough by just recoloring the Targaryen sigil)
- Rhaenyra's "quartered" heraldry (two Targaryen squares, an Arryn square, and a Velaryon square...but the Velaryons are one of the few we don't have!)
"Exist" within the TV continuity but we need clearer images:
- An official version of Brynden Tully's personal sigil (a black trout instead of a silver one) - well, we actually don't have an "official" version, but I made one easily enough for his infobox by simply modifying the normal heraldry.
- House Jordayne - a gold quill, on a checked field of alternating light and dark green (barely glimpsed in the Season 4 premiere, but need a clean shot)
- House Payne
- House Redwyne (actually appeared on tournament banners, but unfortunately not in focus)
- House Manderly (probably coming in future seasons)
- House Tarly - a striding red huntsman on a green field (Seen during the Purple Wedding, but a clean shot would be nice).
- House Stokeworth - a white lamb holding a golden goblet, on a green background. Only example is Lollys's very intricate embroidery, though at least it is a very detailed embroidery.
Apart from the many Dornish banners seen in the Season 4 premiere, also need some good HD shots of the Martell heraldry clearly displayed in "The Mountain and the Viper".--The Dragon Demands (talk) 22:51, June 15, 2014 (UTC)
- A clear view of Houses Lefford, Crakehall, Marbrand, Dondarrion and Tarth. BTW, i've never read Rhaenyra having a personal sigil.--Gonzalo84 (talk) 23:17, July 18, 2014 (UTC)
- I...obtained, digital copies of The Princess and the Queen and The Rogue Prince. TPATQ states that Aegon II's heraldry was like the regular Targaryen heraldry, but the red three-headed dragon was changed to gold (for his dragon Sunfyre the Golden). TPATQ only mentioned in passing that Rhaenyra's banners were "quartered" but didn't mention with what (was it like Maekar or something?).
- But then The Rogue Prince clearly explained that it was the normal Targaryen red dragon heraldry, quartered with the Arryn sigil (for her mother Aemma Arryn), and the Velaryon sigil (for her first husband, Laenor Velaryon...really because the Velaryons were among the primary members of the Blacks; plus Daemon had been married to Laena Velaryon and had two confirmed daughters by her). According to AWOIAF, when you quarter three sigils, the primary one (Targaryen) gets two diagonal quarters. There is even some fanart of this floating around on Westeros.org's forum (just by combining the other heraldry). But we don't have a TV-canon House Velaryon heraldry design. Despite being called "the Greens and the Blacks", their two factions didn't have actual Green and Black flags. The Gold Dragon flag was used by Green armies, Rhaenyra's quartered banner was used by Black armies (when Criston Cole's army is surrounded and killed, they see armies carrying the quartered flag of Rhaenyra).--The Dragon Demands (talk) 23:35, July 18, 2014 (UTC)
Well, we didn't get any new heraldry in Season 5. My hopes for better Dorne heraldry were dashed. Ack.
The only heraldry that was really in the "Needed" category was Velaryon, Hightower, Seaworth, and Stokeworth/Bronn personal sigil.
The only one new heraldry at all this season was for House Stokeworth...in the form of a highly detailed embroidery on Lollys's gown, not official artwork of the "flag". Functional enough that I put it into their infoboxes and such, but still. --The Dragon Demands (talk) 00:51, June 22, 2015 (UTC)