- I only just started it and it is still very much a work in progress. I've been intending to make this article on Heraldry for so long that I realized it might be better to "get the ball rolling" by posting up what I could. Yes this TV/book stuff needs to be sorted out - however, I approached it from an "Out of Universe Perspective" anyway, given that I had to explain at the beginning how the real-life rules of heraldry work, Jim Stanes' involvement, etc. I think of it as more of a "Production" Behind-the-Scenes page. I don't know; but I thought it would be good to at least get a start on it.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 01:50, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- They wear white enameled armor. The crown is not their sigil, just a design we've seen on armor - never a banner.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 17:15, September 20, 2013 (UTC)
You were right, those are Tyrell banners: they have five points like the Tyrell flower, not the Seven Pointed Star. I wonder why they use white backgrounds in the Great Sept: for formal occasions?--The Dragon Demands (talk) 05:52, January 12, 2014 (UTC)
At first I thought it was a matter of light and photography, then I noticed Joffrey's sigil also with a white background. Either a show of respect for the Faith from both Lannisters and Tyrells or the Faith itself showing respect for the ruling houses.--Gonzalo84 (talk) 06:00, January 12, 2014 (UTC)
What's heraldry that has not yet received an official TV series continuity version, which you would like to see in later seasons?
(loosely, a wishlist might also extend to heraldry which "exists" in the TV continuity but which we've only barely glimpsed in crowd shots and don't have a "good" photo of yet).
My short list:
Heraldry we really need:
- House Seaworth - a black ship with an onion upon its sails, on a grey field
- House Velaryon - a silver seahorse rampant upon an aquamarine field
- House Tarly - a striding red huntsman on a green field
- House Hightower - a silver tower with a red beaconfire, on a grey field
- Bronn's personal sigil - a green, flaming chain on a smoking grey field. The design was to commemorate his role in the Battle of the Blackwater, where he earned his knighthood (after which he needed a personal sigil), but because the chain was cut from the TV continuity, it would have to be slightly different for the TV show - possibly a flaming arrow and green wildfire?
Would be nice:
- House Harlaw - a white scythe on a black field
- House Dayne - a sword across a falling white star, on a purple field
- House Caswell - a gold centaur with a bow on a white field.
- House Jordayne - a gold quill, on a checked field of alternating light and dark green
- House Rowan - a gold tree torn up by its roots on a white field
- House Toland - a green dragon biting its own tail on a gold field (symbolizing that Dorne ran circles around the Targaryen dragons)
- An official flag for the "Tiger" party of Volantis
- An official flag for the "Elephant" party of Volantis
- Aegon II's personal gold dragon sigil
- Rhaenyra's "quartered" heraldry (they never said what it was quartered with)
"Exist" within the TV continuity but we need clearer images:
- An official version of Brynden Tully's personal sigil (a black trout instead of a silver one) - well, we actually don't have an "official" version, but I made one easily enough for his infobox by simply modifying the normal heraldry.
- House Payne
- House Redwyne (actually appeared on tournament banners, but unfortunately not in focus)
- House Manderly (probably coming in future seasons)