So for those of you who don't know, the video game Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series, is jam-packed full of easter eggs are various references to ASOIAF. Ranging from Frostfinger listing all nineteen castles on the Wall, to Mira's copy of Wonders Made by Man by Lomas Longstrider, it's evident that plenty of secrets lies throughout the episodic game series. But has this one gone almost completely unnoticed?
What we know
- Finn, the beloved Night's Watch recruit, explains to Cotter and Gared that he was sent to the Wall for killing a lordling, who came at him with a knife for sleeping with his wife, married noblewoman.
- Finn is from the Riverlands, as confirmed by a Telltale staff member. He's from the area around Raventree Hall, controlled by House Blackwood, who are one the few major noble houses outside the North to continue to worship the Old Gods of the Forest. Finn reflects this sentiment and takes his vows at a weirwood tree.
- House Piper general information (from the novels mainly)
- Location of Pinkmaiden, the seat of House Pipers, along the Red Fork of the Trident. Raventree Hall is further north past Riverrun.
- Major Riverlands house, joined the Starks and Tullys in rebellion, later bent the knee after the Red Wedding
Now connecting the dots
- The Piper sigil, from A Wiki of Ice and Fire.
- Finn's knife's design:
See what I'm talking about, eh? Does this prove House Piper exists in the TV universe? Additionally, when I asked about where Finn was from, and mentioned this theory about the knife, the Telltale staff members (Arthur von Nagel) did not deny it, just stated that Finn was from around Raventree Hall. It's not impassible that a smallfolk could make that journey, and if Finn slept with her every now and then maybe he possibly just lived down there but was born in the Blackwoods' lands.
So what do you think? House Piper in the TV universe? I hope I gave you an interesting read and look forward to hear your responses and maybe make an article about House Piper if we agree that they exist. P.S. Frostfinger saying all the castles on the Wall confirms all of their existence too (the names of the castles not the number), so if that justifies articles for the each of them so be it. Credit to AWOIAF for the Piper sigil!