Hi, welcome to Game of Thrones Wiki! Thanks for your edit to the User blog:The Dragon Demands/The History of House Targaryen. Part IV: The Dance of the Dragons page.
We welcome all contributions to the Wiki but please be aware of the following simple rules:
1) This wiki is meant for the Game of Thrones TV series and the TV alone. Spoilers from the novels are not permitted at all. Discussion of earlier events in the novels and the use of non-spoiler background material from the novel as regards specific events, characters and places in the TV series are allowed (in the 'In the books' section of an article) but future events cannot be discussed.
2) This wiki has specific permission from HBO's marketing department to use a reasonable number of promotional images and screencaps from the series to illustrate articles. The use of other copyrighted images is not permitted without either specific permission or fair use attributions. For example, this Wiki cannot use Amoka's portrait images or Ted Nasmith's castle pictures as these are copyrighted. In addition, the Wiki is focused on the TV series and TV series alone. Images from other media should be avoided without a very good cause.
Don't use visual editor, use source editor. http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/House_Westerling?diff=109557&oldid=107076 Don't try to make headlines by using the center features and stuff: use "equals signs" to make levels of headlines. --The Dragon Demands (talk) 23:29, December 25, 2013 (UTC)
War names in War InfoboxEdit
I don't do it intentionally, I go into the infobox and the title is gone and I don't know how to fix it -- Daemon Targaryen (talk) 09:36, January 23, 2014 (EST)
Weird... to fix it is quite easy, all you gotta do is write: |name=Name of the War
Image uploads Edit
Please be advised that all images uploaded to the Game of Thrones Wiki must be provided with relevant copyright information, including: the permission of the original author or artist, the most up-to-date license tag, and any specific categories to which the image belongs. The image of Balon Greyjoy you uploaded was not provided with this information, and is also extremely poor quality, and has therefore been deleted. Please let me know if you need any help with this in the future. Kind regards.-- 13:09, January 26, 2014 (UTC)
Category adding Edit
Characters of WesterosEdit
- The block will last only 1 hour, I will unblock you now but please stop.--Gonzalo84 (talk) 19:05, January 31, 2014 (UTC)
- To Gonzalo84, The Dragon Demands and to all other Users on this Wiki, I would like to formally apologize for my actions earlier today. I made a Stark Mistake; having good intentions while it leads to more trouble to you all. I thank you for not pulling a Joffrey and banning me from the site. I have learned from this experience and I hope that we can move forward and make is Wiki a better place for GOT fans. Thank you and again I am sorry. --Daemon Targaryen (talk) 12:09, January 31, 2014 (ECT)
- Its ok, I only blocked you to stop that particular line of editing. It was always meant to be temporary because I understood from the start it was an honest mistake.--Gonzalo84 (talk) 16:49, February 1, 2014 (UTC)
The Vale (Histories & Lore)Edit
- I use the print screen function and photoshop to make my screenshots.--Gonzalo84 (talk) 02:11, February 18, 2014 (UTC)
Histories & Lore quotesEdit
In general, as more of a guideline than a rule, we should try not to use quotes from the animated featurettes unless none are available from the TV show. The goal is accessibility, and the truth is, a shockingly large number of people don't watch the animated featurettes (i.e. much of my family watches the TV show, but adamantly doesn't bother to spend all of 2 hours in the past 2 years watching the "bonus 1 hour episode" of featurette material).
The general points I'm trying to establish are:
1 - A TV quote supersedes an animated featurette quote in terms of importance, though: 2 - We might use a quote from the animated featuretes in spite of this, if it is very very good.
For example, it is better to use as a page-header quote the points when "Maegor Targaryen" has been mentioned in on-screen dialogue from the TV series.
Now this point also extends to all supplementary material like the HBO Viewer's Guides, etc., though I'd rank them even lower.
The thing is that the Histories & Lore are very well done, and book fans love them, and I think they educate non-book fans very well and are quite accessible....but the sad truth is that many don't bother watching them.
Again, this is variable: if something only got a stray namedrop in the TV series, but got introduced with a VERY good quote in the Histories & Lore, we'd prefer the animated quote. I mean, I don't think we've even heard the name "Florent" in TV dialogue before (their heraldry is around though, as is Selyse) - while the Histories & Lore gives a very good quote about it.
Same thing with say, Visenya Targaryen: better to use Arya's TV quote about her, than a more accurate but more obscure quote from the animated featurettes.
All of this is minor quibbles though, about page-header quotes: as with any other character, make a "Quotes" section if there's more than one good quote, such as for Maegor.
Image Policy, part 2. Edit
I noticed on Jan 26th, our admin The Boy warned you about uploading images to the Game of Thrones website. Today, you have uploaded many images and NONE have been properly named. They also haven't been categorized or had a license and description added. We take this VERY seriously, so this will now become your 2nd warning. Please go back and adjust every single image you have downloaded, if not I will have to delete them...as it isn't the admin's job to go back over your forgetfulness. One more warning pertaining to images, we will have to block you for an extended period of time. Once again, here is our IMAGES policy for you to look over. I renamed, tagged, licensed and added a description to the crow promotional image...you can look at it as a guide if you wish. Reminder of what every image needs done:
3. Proper description of image. Where it came from, etc
4. License tagging
QueenBuffy 19:05, February 27, 2014 (UTC)
- The size of those images is apalling. At wicnet.com you can find all of them at a proper size.--Gonzalo84 (talk) 20:51, February 27, 2014 (UTC)
- I agree Gonzalo... I have a feeling he won't do anything to them. We probably should just delete them all and have someone else upload better copies. He basically just made more work for us. QueenBuffy 20:54, February 27, 2014 (UTC)
- The size of those images is apalling. At wicnet.com you can find all of them at a proper size.--Gonzalo84 (talk) 20:51, February 27, 2014 (UTC)
Rhaella and Aerys were brother and sister Edit
I noticed that you tried to reverse my edits on Daenerys, Rhaegar and Viserys' pages so I feel obliged to explain my edits so you don't try reversing them again. We list Cersei and Jaime as being Joffrey's mother/aunt or father/uncle so we can't pull a double standard with Daenerys or her siblings. Mandon (talk) 08:37, April 13, 2014 (UTC)
I DO NOT appreciate you undoing my photo work for the Ser Pounce page without even asking. Please revert to the image I uploaded with corrected lighting. the original picture was obviously too dark.
I apologize for the previous message but it is extremely frustrating when some one undoes my work without even mentioning it to me. Please note that i have taken the time and effort to corrected the photo on the ser pounce page. I brightened the image so that the cat was actually visible , removing the hard shadow on the previous picture it is still a complete representation of the original screenshot.
My "Spoiler" Edit
Hello Daemon! Sorry, I hadn't the idea to "spoiler", but I don't think that I've really done this! I watch the TV series and try to read the books, and I think a lot of people do it this way. So they know what will happen in later books. Regards, --Exodianecross (talk) 13:13, June 5, 2014 (UTC)
Could you please message me when you are done editing the "Assassination at the Tower of the Hand" page so I don't overwrite any of your improvements when I'm done editing? Thanks. -Iron Bank (talk) 23:04, June 16, 2014 (UTC)
Please read immediatelyEdit
Please read this immediately: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:WinterIscoming.net_is_plagiarizing_Game_of_Thrones_Wiki
Vote for new BureaucratsEdit
The Wikia Staff said that even though Werthead is stepping down voluntarily, we need to have an open vote to determine who will now be promoted to Bureaucrat status. Please check it out: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Vote_for_New_Bureaucrats --The Dragon Demands (talk) 20:38, October 13, 2014 (UTC)
Hello, I'm trying to get some census data about our editors:
Have you read the books? If not, do you plan to read them eventually? If you are reading them, did you already start reading them before the TV series started, or did you start after the TV show began? If after they began, have you: finished yet? still trying to finish? Or, you're intentionally only reading one book at a time to match the pace of the TV series? (the last of which is really not a good idea because a given TV season will often pull a chapter or two from the next book, i.e. Jaime and Brienne at the end of Season 2 were the start of book 3).
Don't know if this sounds fun: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Sit_on_the_Iron_Throne_in_CT
Hi Daemon Targaryen,
I tried emailing you the other week in regards to an exclusive opportunity; hopefully, it’ll be of interest! In conjunction with Telltale Games, Wikia will be working to create a unique experience for visitors of our Game of Thrones community, specifically the pages centered on the episodic Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game. I wanted to see if you'd be interested in joining us.
Let me know if you are interested or have any questions,
Appointing new Admins for Season 5Edit
Please check this out: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:GoTWiki_Small_Council_meeting_5:_Wild_Card_Day
- Well, what do you think?--The Dragon Demands (talk) 22:56, February 5, 2015 (UTC)
- Just 1 question. What will be my responsibilities as an Admin? -- Daemon Targaryen (talk) February 5 2015.
...Well you can do as much or as little as you want (most people get turned off by the extra work). You gain the power to protect pages and edit on protected (locked) pages. The older Admins will handle more of the heavy lifting or deciding whether to ban people with real accounts -- you'd be able to ban obvious vandals or spambots inserting the word "poop" into articles, etc. before they can do more damage if we don't catch them first. Being able to write on the protected pages is a major perk. Basically it doesn't matter what you do so long as you're active (person who likes images works on that, person who likes categorization works on that, person who likes writing can now work on protected pages). It's a higher level of responsibility, and as a walking representative of the wiki you're theoretically held to a higher work standard (which you've already achieved), as "to whom much has been given, much will be demanded".
Alright then I accept. -- Daemon Targaryen February 7 2015
I have upgraded your account rights and knighted you as an Administrator. A boy kneels, a man rises. Ask us if you have any questions, you don't need to rush into everything at once.
How to block a vandal IP addressEdit
- Go to the user/IP's profile page, and click their "Contributions" tab. Also History pages give a link to their "Contributions" tab.
- On the top bar of the "Contributions" tab, Administrators can see a variety of options, specifically the one that says "Block".
- This brings up the Admin Dashboard for blocking. There are two things here: "Expiry" and "Reason". Both have dropdown menus. "Reason" you'd select from this list as "Vandalism" - though you have the option of writing something specific if you need to (such as noting "I think this is the same guy I banned yesterday, using a separate IP address").
- For some reason, the "Expiry" dropdown list only gives a maximum of 1 year. However, there is an option to ban them forever - use this on people who are blatantly vandals (spambots, people adding the word "poop" into character names, or people claiming that Old Nan is a disguised Arthur Dayne). To ban someone permanently, because there is no dropdown menu option, in the second box underneath the Expiry dropdown box, write in "infinite" (I think it needs to be a lowercase "i").
- There are some other checkbox options below: two are automatically checked (I see no reason to uncheck them). If you are disciplining someone with a Temporary ban, you should allow them to edit their own Talk page to contest the ban. However for obvious vandals, you should also check the other two options: "prevent this user from editing their own talk page" and "prevent logged-in users from editing from this IP address". There's another box for "watch this IP address", but you don't need to click that.
In summary: if you see a vandal (such as an anonymous IP address), you go to their "Contributions" tab (either listed in the article's History page, or one of the tabs on a profile, besides "Talk"). On the Contributions tab, as an Admin you will see a "block" option. Once on the Admin Dashboard for blocking, select "Vandalism" from the Reason dropdown menu - and for "Expiry", for obvious vandals you want to permanently ban you need to manually write in "infinite". Then make sure that all of the checkboxes are checked (except for the one about "follow this user", you don't need that).
MediaWiki color scheme templateEdit
Okay, I finally got onto updating the color scheme of the nav templates, had to ask XD1 for help updating the new color scheme (instead of Blue and Grey (ugh), it's now Wood Brown and Beige - both blue links and black text will show up better against this).
The Appearances/Credits templates needed to be updated by hand because unlike the others they use a grid, but that was easy enough.
Only one that might still need updating is the House information Navbox - it uses three vertical columns so it's different from the others - managed to change the title bar to Wood Brown, but I couldn't get the background to Beige without making an ugly grid pattern, so I left it neutral.
At any rate, writing to inform that the next time we ever change the entire color scheme, the way to do it is by playing with the CSS code on this page: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Wikia.css
If we remember this, next time we won't go a couple of weeks with the old color scheme in the templates because we don't know how to change it :) --The Dragon Demands (talk) 19:58, March 12, 2015 (UTC)
Doran Martell Edit
I noticed you reverted my edit to the Doran Martell page. Since my edits fixed grammar and factual errors, I was wondering what was the isssue with it? Arya Baratheon (talk) 05:24, March 31, 2015 (UTC)
- Alright, thank you for letting me know. I'll just readd the corrections without the spoilers. Arya Baratheon (talk) 23:22, March 31, 2015 (UTC)
Referring to my edit earlier to the Emilia Clarke page..why are there the Telltale game pages from the game on here then? Should there not be a seperate wiki for them in this case?
I'd like to return :/ if possible Edit
Hey Daemon! Hey bro I wanted to apologize for my behavior. I truly do not rmember what I did, I just remembered I put some stupid shit on the forum and my IP got banned. I was stupid back then and I deserved it. Now, I have finished the books and I'm a HUGE fan of both the books and the show. I even run an Instagram account called 'gameoffacts ' which I have over 45 THOUSAND followers which makes me one of the top 10 game of thrones insta accounts with most followers. (if you want proof, comment something on my pic like "I'm Daemon Targaryen from the GoT wiki", and I'll respond to you confirming this is me). I always check the news every day and I would really love to be able to edit the forum again :/ I'm currently using my iPhone's hotspot because I couldn't even leave messages on profiles :( with this account I'm using (eugeniodiaz30), I've edited and added lots of wiki's and have really helped this forum using my phone's hotspot all the time. I would like to ask if I could maybe, just maybe be unbanned so I can easily add and edit the forum's again. I promise I won't ever do what I did before. I've matured and GoT is part of my daily life now (I post like 3 pictures per day in my insta).
Here's my ban:
The block was made by The Dragon Demands.
- Reason given: gross incompetence
- Start of block: 22:53, March 18, 2015
- Expiry of block: infinite
- Intended blockee: 126.96.36.199
- Block ID: #2061
- Current IP address: 188.8.131.52
- Thank you so very much for this. It would be amazing if I could come back to this amazing community again and continue helping. Thanks for your time.