Hey, Buffy! The GoT awards were a success and the results blog is up now here! Do you mind me switching out the link on the main page slider to the results? Let me know, and thanks again for your help! Grace (profile)•(talk) 18:39, September 17, 2013 (UTC)
New Parent Filter ProgramEdit
Sidenote! Wikia just launched the Parent Filter program and we would love your help getting it rolled out to the community! The goal of Parent Filter pages is to have the real experts on topics (our Wikia users) give parents accurate information about the pop culture their kids want to play, watch, and read. This new page is now part of the MediaWiki messages on your community, and has a template for you to fill in with parent-relevant information.
If you'd like help filling out the page, let us know and we'll be happy to lend a hand, but you can also read more about the program in this staff blog! Thanks, Buffy! Grace (profile)•(talk) 21:31, September 17, 2013 (UTC)
- But...this isn't a children's show. It's filled with Sexposition and nudity. Indeed, I've seen both Kerry Ingram (Shireen Baratheon) and Aimee Richardson (Myrcella Baratheon) say in interviews that they aren't even allowed to watch full episodes which they themselves have appeared in, because other portions of those episodes feature violence/nudity/sex scenes. IMDB's Parental Guide openly says this is a mature series never meant for children to watch: . It's rated TV-MA-DLSV. Pretty much the only thing is doesn't have is drug violence. The ratings at the opening of the episodes openly state that they aren't meant for children to watch. It's filled with on-screen nudity, sex....incest is such a major plot point that we have an article on it, children are routinely killed in graphic on-screen violence, rape is incredibly common....I can't even list enough examples. This is a very unusual request.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 23:09, September 17, 2013 (UTC)
- Oh wait, I see, you want us to fill out the Parent Filter in order to have a Wikia version of the Parental Guide from IMDB, in order to warn parents away from allowing their children to watch the show. That makes sense.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 23:13, September 17, 2013 (UTC)
Hey, Buffy! Here is an example of a simpler Parent filter page. People have really just been adapting the templates to fit their franchise, so you can really fill in whatever sections you think are necessary for parents to know! Let me know if that helps :) Grace (profile)•(talk) 22:25, September 19, 2013 (UTC)
Hi there, I'm working on the Parent Filter initiative for Wikia. So, The Dragon's description above is what I would consider perfect for a Parent Filter page -- it gives you a quick and clear sense of why GoT wouldn't work for little kids but might be OK, say, for a mature teenager. What do you guys think about adding that paragraph to the GoT Parent Filter page in the Description or Content sections? Generaltsao @ (profile)•(talk)•(email) 17:46, September 26, 2013 (UTC)
Wikia Guided Tour: Epic FantasyEdit
My name’s Matt and I’m a community development associate for Wikia. I’m in charge of a monthly feature called “Guided Tours” where I interview experts on a given topic, asking questions about how they got into their area of expertise and how they recommend others do the same. Our next feature is going to be Epic Fantasy -- and Game of Thrones definitely fits the bill!
If you could provide answers, as short or long as you see fit, to the questions below, your responses will be featured in the article. Check out the [http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Mhadick/Guided_Tour:_Children%27s_Fantasy last Guided Tours article for an example.
1. Tell me a bit about yourself and your involvement with the Game of Thrones wiki.
2. How did you get into Fantasy? Into Game of Thrones?
3. How would you recommend a beginner get into Fantasy Any particular books/movies/comics/TV shows/games/etc. that would serve as a good starting point?
4. Anything you wouldn’t recommend?
5. Any additional advice you’d give to someone new to Fantasy?
6. What resources on your wiki might be useful to an aspiring Fantasy fan?
Game of Thrones WishlistEdit
Hey, QueenBuffy! I just put up this blog asking users to share what items they would put on a Game of Thrones wishlist (blog found here). It's part of a fun project we're doing so I was wondering if you could promote/highlight the blog on the community just so people will see it? Hope that's alright! Grace (profile)•(talk) 18:25, November 11, 2013 (UTC)
What we discussed by e-mailEdit
So much his promise to change his attitude. I'm reporting him to Wiki Community's Admins. DRAEVAN13 23:14, November 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Who is it? That creep from Downton Abbey pages? Cest something? (lol) QueenBuffy 23:16, November 25, 2013 (UTC)
- No, an Anon who made one single edit. Unless you're asking about me, in which case it Draevan13 DRAEVAN13 23:17, November 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Oooh, email me again, the pearljampookie address. QueenBuffy 23:19, November 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Can't, I'm at work right now. Hotmail is blocked. DRAEVAN13 23:22, November 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Draevan, it seriously impairs my work to have you being this judgmental; if I'm permanently banning someone (for gross incompetence) I'm not worried about being polite to them. Please stop jumping on me at every opportunity. If you had concerns you should have come to me.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 03:59, November 26, 2013 (UTC)
@QueenBuffy - Well I'm sorry; have I been too harsh and should I undo the ban? I'm always afraid that the next Ch'Vyalthan is just waiting to happen (and I don't normally take anonymous edits very seriously).--The Dragon Demands (talk) 15:07, November 26, 2013 (UTC)
- Hi The Dragon Demands, Unfortunately I had to bring this latest development to Wikia. Basically I was informed to run a vote, or "Poll" to let the others have their say. It won't be a ban, just bring you back to editor status. I'm sorry, it just keeps happening, and threatening people just can't be overlooked. QueenBuffy 21:36, November 26, 2013 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, actual editors. QueenBuffy 23:07, November 26, 2013 (UTC)
I am sorry I have been a stubborn buffoon, and I said things in anger to you which I didn't fully believe. You have helped me out invaluably here - yes of course you helped during the Ch'Vyalthan crisis, even held my confidence when I shared my suspicion that he was you know who. I've been very frustrated by real life pressure - I'm running off to catch my plane (on Thanksgiving Night!) for that medieval conference in Ireland. But I felt bad about the crappy "tone" I took and wanted to apologize. I want things to go back to how they were in past weeks when we were all a merry band obsessing over Game of Thrones details. Anyway as you said it would be best to take that poll down now so it doesn't attract more attention and we can move forward.
Underage users Edit
- Thanks Buff, I think that's for the best. Obviously we can't stop them from viewing the wiki, but allowing them to edit sends out the message that it's okay for minors to access adult material, which, of course, it's not.-- 20:20, December 1, 2013 (UTC)
- I definitely agree. Better safe than sorry :) QueenBuffy 20:27, December 1, 2013 (UTC)
Question from UserEdit
What wiki is for the Song of Fire and Ice books? FireZtar Dec 1, 2013 2:17pm
Fluid Layout Edit
It's been done automatically already. However, we do need to modify the background image, as on 1920x1080 resolutions it disappears behind the wall of text.--Werthead (talk) 10:11, December 5, 2013 (UTC)
- I changed the settings to make the images snap to the sides of the screen. That look okay to you? --Werthead (talk) 10:15, December 5, 2013 (UTC)
I hope Fluid Layout improves mobile device use I badly attempted to access the wiki through an iPhone when I was in Europe, but the display and basic navigation were unusable - I hadn't noticed before because I don't use mobile stuff.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 19:13, December 5, 2013 (UTC)
There's been a big wave of vandalism these past two days - I checked some of the IP addresses and they seem to be from the Netherlands. Is this just a coincidence? Or is it one guy using multiple IP address proxies and sock puppets?--The Dragon Demands (talk) 19:31, December 13, 2013 (UTC)
User:Nototter says he didn't intentionally add that Daenerys/Drogo sex image to Barristan Selmy - given that he actually removed it himself seconds later (and has otherwise been editing normally) I'm inclined to believe him that it was simply a mistake from hitting the wrong key on the "select on image" thing. I'd have banned him myself at the time, but the decision to unban him is yours because you got to it first (it would be rude of me to unban people others have set banned). I hope this was just a mistake.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 00:37, December 18, 2013 (UTC)
- Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I will unblock him and just keep an eye on his edits. QueenBuffy 01:44, December 18, 2013 (UTC)
Trying to ban meEdit
Dragon Demands is trying to have me banned for speaking out against him. I'm like your input on this on Werthead's talk page. DRAEVAN13 18:57, December 18, 2013 (UTC)
Hey, Buffy! We were excited to see the Game of Thrones trailer go up on this wikia, especially with all the comments from fans, so we wanted to make a Fannotations video. It's basically a trailer video based on community comments from your blog that you put up. Is it alright if we put the video up and then have it featured on the main page? Let me know, thanks! Grace (profile)•(talk) 19:14, January 14, 2014 (UTC)
- Here's the video! Do you mind promoting on the main page? Grace (profile)•(talk) 00:24, January 15, 2014 (UTC)
Hey, Buffy, thanks for adding the fannotations video to the main page for us :) I was just wondering if it would be ok for us to also put it on the Season 4 page? Side note, we got rid of the spoiler-y stuff as well for people who were concerned about it :) Grace (profile)•(talk) 17:13, January 16, 2014 (UTC)
I notice this was changed: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Log/wikifeatures Is this normal maintenance or vandalism?--The Dragon Demands (talk) 02:33, January 20, 2014 (UTC)
- It says that user is Staff, so I guess it is okay. I would guess it is a minor change, since usually they ask us first about adding or removing things. Do you see any changes on the Wiki? QueenBuffy 04:19, January 20, 2014 (UTC)
Hey Queen B! I was wondering, if you'd be cool about having an affiliation w each other? I'm the new Reign wiki. :) (I know U haven't been on as much, but I haven't read the last book & I always end up looking 4 spoilers lol) But yeah, let me know :) --~ Lorisa! (talk) 00:18, February 16, 2014 (UTC)
Wikia Game of Thrones Video Series Edit
Hi, QueenBuffy. In April, Wikia is launching a weekly review-oriented GoT video short series, and I wanted to talk to you about being a part of it. If you're interested, I'll explain further if you wouldn't mind hitting me up via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks! Brian 23:59, February 23, 2014 (UTC)
Fan vs. Critic: Game of ThronesEdit
Hey, Buffy! I wanted to let you know that Wikia is planning on doing a really cool program soon called "Fan vs. Critic: Game of Thrones". It's going to be a weekly video series (one video for each episode) that pits a fan from Wikia's community against a critic from Rotten Tomatoes! We were planning on putting these videos up each week in a blog, but is it alright with you if these videos got promoted on the main page and added to the respective episode page each week? It sounds like it'll be a very fun and interesting project that fans would be into, but let me know, thanks! Grace (profile)•(talk) 18:28, February 21, 2014 (UTC)
- Awesome :) I'll let you know as soon as the first one comes out in April! Grace (profile)•(talk) 23:14, February 21, 2014 (UTC)
Hey, Buffy! Noticed that you didn't reply to Brian^ yet and wanted to check in to see if you were interested at all in being in the Fan vs. Critic video? It'll be a lot of fun and we'd love to have you participate in it! If interested, please let Brian know at email@example.com. No pressure, but Kate and I both think you'd be great :D Grace (profile)•(talk) 18:32, February 25, 2014 (UTC)
Main page slidesEdit
- Yes! Definitely! I was thinking the image of the crow would fit perfectly. Also, I can contact the design team at Wikia and have the new character posters used as an updated background. QueenBuffy 20:37, February 27, 2014 (UTC)
- Either the character portraits or the crow poster would be fine. At last we'll be rid of those faces looking at me!--Gonzalo84 (talk) 20:52, February 27, 2014 (UTC)
- I messaged Wikia to help with the design update. I will go ahead and add the crow to the main slider. QueenBuffy 20:56, February 27, 2014 (UTC)
- Oh, I just thought he was a spammer. lol. I will lift the ban and warn him for future reference. QueenBuffy 21:01, February 27, 2014 (UTC)
- Perhaps you should list your bans, keeping in mind that "The Lannisters swindle their enemies. The Storm Kinbs hammered them, and the Starks cut off their heads. In such company as this, were the Boltons really so... indelicate?"--Gonzalo84 (talk) 21:11, February 27, 2014 (UTC)