Hi, welcome to Game of Thrones Wiki! Thanks for your edit to the Xaro Xhoan Daxos page.
We welcome all contributions to the Wiki but please be aware of the following simple rules:
1) This wiki is meant for the Game of Thrones TV series and the TV alone. Spoilers from the novels are not permitted at all. Discussion of earlier events in the novels and the use of non-spoiler background material from the novel as regards specific events, characters and places in the TV series are allowed (in the 'In the books' section of an article) but future events cannot be discussed.
2) This wiki has specific permission from HBO's marketing department to use a reasonable number of promotional images and screencaps from the series to illustrate articles. The use of other copyrighted images is not permitted without either specific permission or fair use attributions. For example, this Wiki cannot use Amoka's portrait images or Ted Nasmith's castle pictures as these are copyrighted. In addition, the Wiki is focused on the TV series and TV series alone. Images from other media should be avoided without a very good cause.
Vote for new BureaucratsEdit
The Wikia Staff said that even though Werthead is stepping down voluntarily, we need to have an open vote to determine who will now be promoted to Bureaucrat status. Please check it out: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Vote_for_New_Bureaucrats --The Dragon Demands (talk) 20:38, October 13, 2014 (UTC)
Hello, I'm trying to get some census data about our editors:
Have you read the books? If not, do you plan to read them eventually? If you are reading them, did you already start reading them before the TV series started, or did you start after the TV show began? If after they began, have you: finished yet? still trying to finish? Or, you're intentionally only reading one book at a time to match the pace of the TV series? (the last of which is really not a good idea because a given TV season will often pull a chapter or two from the next book, i.e. Jaime and Brienne at the end of Season 2 were the start of book 3).
Are you male, female, more complex description? I kind of assumed male but you don't talk about yourself much.
What part of the world do you hail from? (It helps to know what airing dates everyone is working with, USA vs UK vs Australia, etc.) If you don't want to say a specific city just give a state/province, or just a country (if United Kingdom might help to specify what sub-region, England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland).
Appointing new Admins for Season 5Edit
Please check this out: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:GoTWiki_Small_Council_meeting_5:_Wild_Card_Day
I've upgraded your account settings to Administrator. A boy kneels, a man rises.
I know you spend a lot of time away in Cyprus working, but I am very impressed with your long time on the wiki and keen world-building eye, with all of your past work on the World of Warcraft Wiki. Administrator stuff i.e. large-scale wiki updates are really a year-round task so this won't be too much of an issue (i.e. by my own standards, I didn't "thoroughly" update every episode and character page since the start of Season 3 (I was finishing my thesis) so we are *massively* backlogged - the point being that whenever you can plug the work in during a single calendar year is much appreciated (though it's polite if you leave a note on your userpage saying "I'm going to be away at work for the next month" but then return and get back to stuff. Only problem is if you leave for a full calendar year with no explanation, that sort of thing. Happy to have you with us, ser.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 23:36, February 9, 2015 (UTC)
- Will do. I'm usually only out there for a month or two in the summer, with decent internet access (unless the island blocked Wikia again). --Ragestorm (talk) 15:06, February 10, 2015 (UTC)
- One other thing: please pick a userbox showing faction allegiance: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/User%3ASer_Patrek/Userboxes
- They're "fun", and regular editors pick up on that they exist by copying how the Admins are using them. You can't be two Great Houses at once (you can't be both a Stark and a Targaryen), though you can be one of that lord's vassal Houses (you can be a Stark, and also include an Umber flag to specify that you're from the North....though usually, picking "Umber" would imply Stark anyway). If you're Night's Watch or a Maester you can't also be a House (many people make this mistake; they're sworn to political neutrality) though as we saw with Aemon, you can be a maester in the Night's Watch. If a Userbox doesn't exist already that you want we can make one.--The Dragon Demands (talk) 20:47, February 10, 2015 (UTC)
- Can I do multiple faiths? I'll roleplay as a rebellious intellectual from Oldtown whose family worships the Seven but who is trying to be edgy and follow the Old Gods. --Ragestorm (talk) 20:32, February 13, 2015 (UTC)
- I don't really think you can do both. I mean, Eddard and Catelyn have a multi-faith household, Arya openly says she prays to "the Old gods and the New"....the Old Gods aren't very popular in the Reach (though there are always minor holdouts at the local level). So there's precedent in the story itself but I wouldn't personally. Also are you for the Tyrells in general or is that just because of the Oldtown thing?--The Dragon Demands (talk) 21:01, February 13, 2015 (UTC)
MediaWiki color scheme templateEdit
Okay, I finally got onto updating the color scheme of the nav templates, had to ask XD1 for help updating the new color scheme (instead of Blue and Grey (ugh), it's now Wood Brown and Beige - both blue links and black text will show up better against this).
The Appearances/Credits templates needed to be updated by hand because unlike the others they use a grid, but that was easy enough.
Only one that might still need updating is the House information Navbox - it uses three vertical columns so it's different from the others - managed to change the title bar to Wood Brown, but I couldn't get the background to Beige without making an ugly grid pattern, so I left it neutral.
At any rate, writing to inform that the next time we ever change the entire color scheme, the way to do it is by playing with the CSS code on this page: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/MediaWiki:Wikia.css
If we remember this, next time we won't go a couple of weeks with the old color scheme in the templates because we don't know how to change it :) --The Dragon Demands (talk) 19:58, March 12, 2015 (UTC)
- Roger that. Looks much better! The beige actually is a bit jarring on my machine, but I think it's just my display.--Ragestorm (talk) 15:46, March 13, 2015 (UTC)
[I originally reached out to another admin here and she said to reach out to others, so that's what I'm doing!]
We have a new beta project out, and since it's going to be critical to Wikia's future, we're asking for your help.
We want to partner with your community (and a couple others) and collaborate on a redesign of your existing infoboxes. It’s not a small task, but it’s one that we think we can get done relatively quickly and efficiently. Our engineers - both here in San Francisco and in Poland - will get hands-on with your community and work with your team to redesign the infoboxes.
You can read more here in the forum (and head to the sandbox to give it a whirl), but the tl:dr version: our current infobox structure translates very poorly to mobile experiences, and mobile is where Wikia’s growth lies. We came up with a solution that will take a bit of effort, but will pay significant dividends in the near future. What we're hoping is that we can use this community to test out its strengths and limitations while we get it from “beta” to “full feature”.
What you get out of the deal:
- Wikia engineers who will work directly with your community to update the code that underpins your infoboxes
- Access to staff for feedback, and our promise that your ideas will be taken seriously
- A head-start on this change and therefore a significant upgrade in your community’s visibility
What we get out of the deal:
- Several fresh sets of eyes that can help us understand how this will be used by the average Wikian
- A test community that will let us track how the new infobox structure is used by visitors and viewers
- The opportunity to share this initiative’s successes (and failures, I’m sure!) with the wider Wikia community and show them that it’s a smart plan for our shared mobile future
Please talk this over with your admin team and let me know. I’m happy to answer any and all questions about this - please use my wall or just keep the conversation going here.