The Valyrian Peninsula is a large, wide headland extending south from Essos into the Summer Sea, the heartland of the now extinct Valyrian Freehold and the location of its capital city, Valyria. Partially destroyed in the Doom, with many islands formed and low-lying areas flooded, becoming the Smoking Sea.
The Valyrian Peninsula was shattered in the Doom. Vast amounts of land fell into the sea, with the surviving remnants becoming islands separated by water. Volcanic activity continues even four centuries after the original eruptions, with the water often turning poisonous and giving off fumes which can kill.
The city of Valyria itself remains on the central island. Though ruined, it is still somewhat intact and a tempting target for looters and treasure-seekers. However, raiding the ruins is extremely hazardous and most who travel to Valyria never return.
- The Smoking Sea separates the islands of Valyria from the peninsula to the north.
- The Summer Sea lies off the southern edge of the region.
- The Gulf of Grief separates the ruins of Valyria from Ghiscar to the east.
- Slaver's Bay lies to the north-east of the area, north of the Gulf of Grief
- The Sea of Sighs is an inland sea in the northern part of the Valyrian Peninsula.
In the booksEdit
|Regions and Geography:||
Andalos . Braavosian Coastlands · Hills of Norvos · The Flatlands · Disputed Lands · Orange Shore · Golden Fields · Forest of Qohor · The Axe · Valyrian Peninsula · Dothraki Sea · Mother of Mountains · Lhazar · Slaver's Bay · Black Cliffs · Yaros · Ghiscar · Ghiscari Strait · Red Waste · The Footprint · Yi Ti · Shadow Lands
|Rivers and Lakes:|